• Starting Saved Seeds

by  • February 28, 2013 • Featured, Gardening & Pets, Homesteading • 7 Comments

starting saved seeds

Julia Child has been hanging out in an envelope in my seed box since August 2010. I saved her seeds from a sexy homegrown tomato and they laid in wait through a couple disappointing gardening seasons until now. I planted sixteen taupe seeds still stuck to their drying paper towel in two rows. After five days under lights and warmed by an electric mat, my old friend is back! I can’t wait to see her luscious pink fruits this summer.

Seed saving is a commitment not of money but time and care. Seeds must be isolated from the best ripe fruit, dried, labeled and stored. In an age where companies create disposable versions of everything, making time to save seeds is practically defiant.

Starting saved seeds is also a political act. Seed savers declare “I don’t believe you can patent a living thing”. We perpetuate characteristics adapted to the microclimate of our individual location, something no mega-seed company can reproduce. We sustain diverse varieties of vegetables and flowers that otherwise might be lost to the perceived convenience of standardization.

I pledge to grow more saved seeds and save more than ever before this year. Will you join me? I’ll share tips for success and overcoming challenges along the way.

7 Responses to Starting Saved Seeds

1. Amanda
      February 28, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’ve got seeds started for my garden this year. I’m super excited, because last year we moved in the middle of the growing season and I didn’t get anything planted but my herbs. Before that I was making do with a tiny 5×5 raised bed that I defiantly stuck in the communal back yard of my apartment complex. This year I have 5 4×8 beds planned out. I hope I’m not getting in over my head! I’ll be keeping up on the seed saving procedures. Although with all the seeds I bought this year, I’ll have plenty left over for next year too.

• February 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I’m excited for you, Amanda! 5 4x8s + 3 kids + 1 dog sounds like plenty to keep you busy without being overwhelmed. :)

2. Likeyourhair
      February 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Recently read back through some of your first posts when you started this blog. Refreshing, compared to the pompous ass you come off as now. Saving seed “positively defiant”? please. A “Political Act”? you are always reaching for a hyperbole, when straight forward information is way more interesting.

• February 28, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Some of us like hyperbole, some don’t. I try to provide a balance of inspirational and tutorial posts. You are welcome to stop reading if you dislike the direction of my writing.

If you wish your comments to remain public, however, you will need to refrain from name calling in the future. Quoting my work correctly might make your argument more acceptable – I didn’t say “positively defiant”.

• Rachel
          February 28, 2013 at 6:01 pm

At least the commenter likes your hair. :O

• Alex
        February 28, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Ah, an internet tough guy. When you leave a comment like this all you’re doing is illustrating that whatever you’ve said shouldn’t be taken seriously.

3. Elaine
      February 28, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for the reminder to dust off my grow lights! Its not too early? Thanks for sharing your life and ignore those who got up on the wrong side of the bed.