• About

6 Responses to Ice Cold Chores {Wordless Wednesday}

1. tash
      January 24, 2013 at 7:40 am

What do you do for your chickens water when it is this cold?

• January 24, 2013 at 8:25 am

Good question! I change it by hand several times a day. City Folk’s Farm Shop and other stores sell heater waterers but with a moveable coop we wanted to keep electrical to a minimum. When we upgrade to a bigger coop and more chickens in the spring we will probably change the watering system.

2. tash
      January 25, 2013 at 8:40 am

I don’t have chickens yet, but I have looked into the heaters. There are so many different ones. And different water refill thingys too. I kinda like the idea of having the coop roof supply a rain barrel that supplies a water cup, one of the kind that is hard to poop in. But it seems like that would only work when it’s above freezing.

I hope you do a nice long post about your new coop with details about the water system you choose.

• January 25, 2013 at 10:03 am

Absolutely! I hadn’t thought about a rain barrel on the coop but that’s brilliant! We’re in serious need of water collection all over the homestead.

3. January 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Frozen chicken! Y’all stay warm. We’re warmer but covered in ice.

4. tash
      January 26, 2013 at 10:58 am

With the water cups though the rain barrel would need to be elevated above them. I really don’t know exactly how it all would work but in theory it should be nearly maintenance free as long as it doesn’t freeze and there was rainfall to fill the barrel.