• So Tired, So Simple – A New Pour-Over Coffee Ritual

by  • April 12, 2012 • Drink, Home & Family • 9 Comments

pour over coffee ritualThis whole house-selling business is exhausting. I get up early to work on house projects and stay up late wondering how we will manage showings and what house we will buy. Like the addict I am, I’m making coffee a lot more regularly now.

As recently as six months ago, I was grinding beans by hand and futzing with a French Press. To be honest, I couldn’t tell that the finished product was much better than what my parents make with a drip machine but I liked the routine.

Jason from Thunderkiss Coffee introduced me to a better way: the pour-over method. The pour-over eliminates grounds in the mug, bulky appliances on the counter, and about 60 seconds from pour to sip.

The Way I Pour

I fill and start the electric hot water kettle. As that’s warming, I pull out my mug, paper filter and $3 plastic filter cone. Someday I’ll spring for a vintage ceramic cone and reusable gold filter but for now I’m hanging tight with the cheap ones.

I scoop a heaping tablespoon of ground coffee (that’s right, I buy pre-ground coffee now because our hand-grinder was a mess and I realized I needed to upgrade to an expensive burr grinder or give in) into the filter. Typically by this time the water comes to a boil. I allow it to cool for just a second (Coffee Geek says coffee brews best at 192-204F) and fill the filter.

coffee grounds in pour-over method

As the water drips down, I add more until my cup is filled. I usually unload or load the dishwasher in the 1-2 minutes I’m waiting for the coffee to finish.

pour over coffee dripping

Toss the grounds into the compost collector, rinse the cone, and I’m ready to face the day.

How do you brew?

PS. I’m sorry that I didn’t take a picture of the final product. I was, you know, tired.

9 Responses to So Tired, So Simple – A New Pour-Over Coffee Ritual

1. April 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Hi Rachel. I just found your blog yesterday and am so psyched to finally find another Columbus blogger with similar interests in gardening, sustainability, etc. Yay! Not that there aren’t others, you’re just the first one I’ve found.

I feel for you on the house selling bit. This is my first house, buying it was bad enough, I can’t imagine the nightmare of trying to sell it and getting it show-worthy.

I generally just brew with a traditional drip coffeemaker because it keeps it hot for a long time. French press is still a nice treat to me.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hi Candi, so nice to meet virtually! We should get together soon locally.

2. April 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

My favorite way to brew coffee is the cold press method. It’s supposed to be much lower acid than regular coffee. When I drink regular coffee I tend to get jittery and an upset stomach. I do love coffee though and no matter how much my diet changes I seem to keep coffee as part of it. I

• April 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I did cold press for awhile. It’s especially nice in the summer when the house is warm and I like iced coffee!

3. mike
      April 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Pour over cones are nice, I use ‘em. I also like french press, aero press, drip machine, my espresso machine, stove top espresso pot, etc….. so obviously, I have a problem. But, like you, question the real difference in flavor, quality, etc…I like coffee,(black) so pretty much I like all the methods of preparation. Lately I’ve been using this double wall stainless steel mug/french press, contraption made by Bodum(Liz got it at some discount place, I should have bought another) and then pouring it into a plastic(keeps it warm))mug. Usually one of the two blue ones I stole from a hospital. mmmm, just talking about it makes me want to go make some.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

You do have a problem, Uncle Mike – that we don’t enjoy coffee often enough together! I actually don’t like boiling hot liquids so I enjoy the slightly cooler temp of the pour-over.

4. Emily
      May 2, 2012 at 11:22 am

HI Rachel! Just discovered your blog. I am a heavy coffee consumer so I usually use a standard drip machine for my morning cup… er, morning pot. I do buy whole beans and grind fresh. Looking at your pictures – I have a couple brown Le Poulet coffee mugs and have been looking for other colors. Where did you get your blue one?

5. October 10, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Nice respond in return of this question with real arguments and describing the whole thing about that.