• Love-ly Books {Book Hounds}

by  • February 10, 2012 • Family, Read • 10 Comments

reading sugar cookies book by the fireValentine’s Day is a moment to tell those we love how much they mean to us. Our family likes to get into the loving spirit by reading picture books.

Our favorite stories have beautiful illustrations and themes about companionship and friendship.

Books say things that we sometimes can’t put into words. They start conversations about devotion, gratitude, and acceptance.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think an inscribed book is a truly romantic gift for a person of any age. Try one of our family favorites for the love of your life.

The Big Blue Spot by Peter Holwitz – One of the first books we bought for Lil, The Big Blue Spot tells a story of finding companionship in a simply illustrated, interactive book.

Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal – A standout new book of this winter, Plant a Kiss explores a fantastical idea: if you planted a kiss, what would happen? If it grows, should you share it? The ‘kiss’ is illustrated by a textured glitter ribbon that sensory-seeking kids will love to touch on the page.

Valentine Surprise by Corinne Demas – This story follows a little girl as she struggles to make the perfect card for her mother. It shows that DIY projects can be frustrating in the making but ultimately rewarding.

The Valentine Bears by Eve Bunting, illustrated by Jan Brett – A hibernating bear surprises his mate in this seasonal story. Other than the anthropomorphising, the illustrations and text are true to nature in midwinter.

Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love by Amy Krouse Rosenthal – Awarding-winning Rosenthal deserves inclusion twice in this list for Sugar Cookies. Soft illustrations of people and pets by Jane & Brooke Dyer accompany definitions of loving words like ‘considerate’, ‘admire’, and ‘forgive’ in the context of making a batch of sugar cookies.

What love-ly books do you recommend?

10 Responses to Love-ly Books {Book Hounds}

1. February 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

My favorite has always been The Blue Valentine. So sweet.

2. Clifford Adams
      February 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

I used to read this to the kids all the time. It’s very sweet.

3. Clifford Adams
      February 10, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oops, html was stripped.

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney

4. February 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hi Rachel,

We just released a picture book on amazon.com that I wrote in honor of our late son TJ. “The Gift of the Ladybug” is the story of two horses that learn that their son is actually a handsome little ladybug and is about acceptance and love. I would be happy to send you a copy to see what you think. It’s a tear jerker and very sweet. Let me know you’re interested!

xo,
      Carole

5. Lindsey
      February 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm

We have the first Cookies book and borrowed the second from the library recently. We love them!

6. raenze
      February 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

Nice Books, I want to have it too. Thank you for sharing.

7. Bhling
      February 15, 2012 at 3:36 am

The books are really nice…Thanks for the idea here…

8. karla
      February 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

I spend my free time reading a good books. Thanks for the great list!

9. February 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

It’s been so long since we read kids books. I can’t remember a book in particular, but they were my kids favorite gifts. I still buy books for them as adults, and still it is one of their favorite gifts. Unfortunately, they don’t last too long because we’re all such prolific readers.

10. Pingback: Homeschool Report Card Winter/Spring 2012 | | Hounds In The KitchenHounds In The Kitchen