• Eggshell Seedlings

by  • April 21, 2011 • Family, Gardening & Pets, Parent • 12 Comments

The lovely Catherine of Photo Kitchen came over last week to take photographs for Hounds in the Kitchen Egg Week.

After blowing out eggs, dying with natural dyes, and baking a dutch baby, we were left with an excess of shells.

empty eggshells for seedlings

We could have tossed the shells in the compost. Instead, we aimed to recreate some easter eggshell planters Lil has been coveting at the big box home improvement store.

dirt in eggshells

All we did was fill an eggshell with potting material and a few seeds for Lil’s favorite herb, chives. Then we watered the shells and placed them under lights with the rest of our seedlings.

planting seeds in eggshells

After the frost free date, we will transplant the whole set up into a bed outside. The calcium rich shell with break apart and dissolve in the soil, giving nutrients to the plant.

I would not advise planting carrots or other root vegetables in eggshells because they need unencumbered space to grow straight down. Most other seeds are fair game for starting in shells.

If you don’t have a grow light, try planting a few dry beans in shells in a sunny window. Though beans don’t need to be started indoors, they are very quick to sprout and grow fast enough to satisfy even the most impatient child.

All photos with the Photo Kitchen watermark belong to Catherine and were generously shared with me. You may purchase copies and view the whole set of photographs in the online gallery. Use the coupon code houndscrossover to receive 25% off prices until May 15.

Added to Simple Lives Thursday 40th Edition.

12 Responses to Eggshell Seedlings

1. April 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Fantastic idea! One thing I always have around is eggshells – and LOTS of them.

2. April 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I love doing these each year with the kids – I wonder if I will still be doing them when I am old and the kids are gone? Thanks for sharing with Simple Lives! xo, Annette

3. April 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I’m going to give these a shot!

4. Shelley Mann
      April 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

These Photo Kitchen photos are gorgeous! Love, love, love.

5. April 21, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Hello! I’ve heard of this method, but haven’t tried it. I really like it because it is the easiest and gentle way to transplant. Thanks for linking up at Simple Lives Thursday!

6. April 22, 2011 at 2:44 am

I would love it if you would link this post up with our Easter Rebirth Bloghop! Very cool idea. I’m gonna retweet it too!

7. April 28, 2011 at 12:00 am

I love this Rachel. I’ve never even thought to use my eggshells to start seeds. I’m going to do this with sunflower seeds as the kids LOVE starting those!

8. Pingback: Simple Lives Thursday #41 | GNOWFGLINS

9. Pingback: Simple Lives Thursday – April 28 | Sustainable Eats

10. May 5, 2011 at 7:37 am

OMGoodness this is brilliant! Simple yet so clever. Thanks for sharing!

11. Pingback: Simple Lives Thursday #43 | GNOWFGLINS

12. Pingback: Natural Food Fun in the Kitchen for Earth Day and Easter!