• Jelly Making Lessons

by  • October 5, 2010 • Preserving • 8 Comments

If you, like me, endeavor to make jelly, the following lessons are helpful to keep in mind:

1. You will have more waste seeds, stems, skins than volume of juice remaining after stewing and food milling fruit.

2. You will want to clarify the juice by pressing it through a chinois.

3. When that gets frustrating, you will want to squeeze it through cheesecloth.

4. You will get impatient and squeeze too much.

clarifying juice through cheese cloth in jelly making

5. The pulpy juice that spills out of the cheesecloth will stain your clothes.

6. If you wear your Made By AmyD apron as a good cook should, the staining will not be a problem.

7. If you didn’t wear your apron, despite it hanging so close to the kitchen, you now have another ‘canning shirt’.

8. You will now read, in the case of the grape juice you just made, that the juice should be refrigerated overnight so ‘crystals’ can be strained. Your plan to can jelly will be delayed.

homemade grape jelly jars

10. You will note there are precious few things more simply beautiful and delicious than home canned jelly.

This post added to the hearth and soul blog hop.

8 Responses to Jelly Making Lessons

1. October 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm

That looks delish!

2. October 5, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Your Jelly looks great. I just love making jelly and jam.
      Thank you for sharing.

3. October 6, 2010 at 10:15 am

“9. When the juice is boiled, sugar and pectin are added, and jelly is canned, there will be remarkable little to show for your efforts.”

This is SOOO true! I’ve never made jelly…yet…but made applesauce and was so disappointed by the small number of quarts…a intentionally made the next batch is pint jars so it would look like more!

4. October 6, 2010 at 11:55 am

Rachel!!!! I’m am laughing so hard that I’m crying, crying tears of complete understanding. OMG! You crack me up. Seriously, laughing, not just saying that for the sake of a comment. I’ve been canning for almost a month now, and I’m sooo tired of it. I love the result, but I’ve had ENUF! Thank you for bringing some joy to the Hearth and Soul hop.

PS – Immediately pour boiling water on grape juice stains. Sounds kooky, but it saved my favorite pink tank from becoming a canning shirt

5. October 7, 2010 at 9:47 am

I will have to keep these tips in mind, if I should ever decide to can grape jelly! LOL what an enjoyable link up for the Hearth and Soul Hop! Your 3 jars are beautiful!

6. October 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Rachel – Thanks again for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop. Your post was an easy pick for my Best of the Blog Hop this week :)

7. February 27, 2012 at 12:47 am

Thanks for the posting. My partner and i have constantly seen that many people are wanting to lose weight since they wish to show up slim plus attractive. On the other hand, they do not usually realize that there are more benefits to losing weight additionally. Doctors state that overweight people are afflicted with a variety of ailments that can be perfectely attributed to their particular excess weight. The great news is that people that are overweight as well as suffering from different diseases can help to eliminate the severity of their own illnesses by means of losing weight. It is possible to see a continuous but marked improvement with health whenever even a bit of a amount of fat reduction is realized.

8. May 22, 2012 at 6:32 am

Personne ici jamais �cout� d�battu de peu de ce th�me avant ce mois.